One more day until Halloween and out comes all the ghosts and goblins. This can be an action packed day for many families. The thrill children get (and some adults, like me) when dressing up and becoming that alter ego for one evening out of the year. Sharing the evening with your best friends and family members. Running around the neighborhood collecting as much candy as the kids can carry, sometimes avoiding the really spooky homes until they get a wee bit older to handle them. Then at the end of the evening spilling out bags of sugary goodness and then goes the candy feast. Soon after the sugar high they will meet the sugar low and children will be drug off to bed where alas you can begin to pull a few of your own favorites out.
Great night you think to yourself as you sit down for the first time all day. Feet are aching, body is tired and suddenly you hear a little voice from the far corner of the room… mom… dad, it’s likely one of two things.
“I don’t feel so good”, or “I’m scared”
Yes that perfect day can often turn into aching stomachs and upset minds in the hours that follow your Halloween night. But have no fear, this year you will be ready. You will be SUPER PARENT with the super powers that strike away fear and wipe out aching bellies.
Here is your “Halloween Survival Kit” complete with super powers!
The “Monster Smash Spray”
What you will need:
- One spray bottle any size
- Enough water to fill the spray bottle.
- If you have essential oils in your home add a small amount 5-10 drops depending on the size of your spray bottle (1 oz 5 drops, larger then a 1 oz could have up to 10 drops).
- If you do not have any essential oils then get creative and add peppermint leaves, rosemary, lemon balm, rose petals, or zest from an orange, lemon, or lime add to water and let it infuse in the for 3 hours to 24 hours, You can even use a tea bag to infuse your monster smash spray.
If you are adding essential oils to your monster smash spray decide which ones and add them directly into the spray bottle and then add water to the spray bottle.
If you are using dried flowers, zest from an orange, lemon, or lime or herbs then let them infuse in water for 3-24 hours. Strain and pour the infused water into the spray bottle.
For added super powers have your child help you make the spray. Let them decide what essential oils to add or what herbs to use.
Have the spray nearby so if your little one does wake up scared you can use it to spray under the bed, in the closets, or anywhere they are afraid and smash out those monsters!
* Do not spray directly on the skin or around the eyes. Keep away from pets and babies.
Say no to belly aches,
there are lot’s of natural remedies you can use to combat belly aches here are a few of my favorites:
- If your child will drink tea give them some peppermint tea, ginger tea, or licorice root tea before bed. This will help calm the digestive enzymes for a more peaceful night sleep.
- Eat an orange, oranges help ease an onset of stomach aches and aid in digestion. They are a natural carminative helping to ease bloating and gas.
- Lemon water, squeeze half a lemon into a glass of water to help calm down any acidity in the stomach. Works well with nausea.
Belly Soother Massage Blend:
What you will need:
- 1 oz amber bottle
- 1 oz carrier oil such as almond oil, olive oil, safflower, sunflower, avocado oil, or jajoba oil
- Essential oils of, peppermint, sweet orange, ginger.
Place the following essential oil drops into the 1 oz amber bottle, 2 drops of peppermint, 1 drop of ginger, 7 drops of sweet orange. Place the cap on and roll the bottle between your hands for one minute. Let it sit for another 4 minutes and then roll bottle between your hands for one more minute. Add in your choice of carrier oil. When needed apply a nickel to quarter size of the blend to the abdomen or on the bottoms of the feet.
* Note this recipe is for the dilution rate of children ages 5-13. Do not use on children younger then 5. Never ingest essential oils as it can be harmful to take internally. Keep out of reach of pet’s and children.
Now that you have your ultimate super power tool kit. Get out there, be safe and have some FUN!