Using Lavender in it’s many forms is creating Self-Care. This month I am focussing on self-care thanks to Carrie Hensley’s #30sacredsangha Un-Challenge. It has me realizing that I don’t always give myself permission to allow or receive. That’s been a battle for me most of my life, although I am clearing out the years worth of cobwebs, I still find on occasion that there is work to be done. That’s why I wanted to share this month’s aroma with you and it fit’s in perfectly with self-care!
This month we are focussing on Lavender. There are many different varieties of lavender, some are meant for culinary use, others are for ornamental and then there is the lavender used in essential oils called Lavendula Angustifolia. This variety is steam distilled using the flowers and stems to produce magnificent essential oils that can help to calm the central nervous system, create harmony, comfort and clarity. This variety of essential oil is also safe for the skin. As a side note, be careful of Spike Lavender as it can be a skin irritant and is meant for cleaning products, not to be used on the skin or as an air freshener.
The very essence of lavender is love and care. It draws into the aspects of nurturing ones spirit from an emotional, physical, and spiritual space. Lavender is amazing at holding you up when the weight of the world is falling down around you. Lifting the worries from your shoulders and gently brining you back to calm and peace. Lavender seeks to bring out the best in everyone, reminding us that we all have a destiny to do good in the world.
Lavender and the chakras:
Lavender is the one and only essential oil that I am aware of that works to harmonize every one of our 7 major chakra’s. Seriously, if you are looking for one oil to do it all when it relates to these 7 major energy centers this is the one to use.
Emotional and Energetic benefits of Lavender:
Acceptance, calm, compassion, clarity, comfort, gentleness, love, self-care
Healing properties of Lavender:
Antiseptic, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, sedative
Ways to incorporate the healing of Lavender in your life.
- Is it tea time? Lavender tea has some of the best medicinal effects on the body. It is known to help relieve headaches, migraines, anxiety, depression, insomnia and indigestion to name a few. So the next time you can’t sleep or are having trouble after a heavy meal give lavender tea a try.
- If you have a lavender plant at home take some of the flowers and place them in your next bath. The water will help disperse the nutrients from the flowers giving you the benefit.
- Rub Lavender Lavendula angustifolia on your temples to ease a headache or ease tension from your day. Also works well on the feet, what a treat to give yourself a foot rub before bed.
- Make a dream pillow, stuff dried lavender flowers into a sachet and place under your pillow before bed.
- Plant your own lavender to enjoy all year long.
* Essential Oil Precaution* Do not use while pregnant. Do not use with children under 8 years. Do not ingest essential oils and always dilute with a carrier oil when placing on the skin. Keep away from children and pets.